Bresse Hen with Foie Gras and Truffle Aspic
- 3 Bresse chicken breasts
- 1 lobe duck foie gras, 1 pound (500 g)
- 2 1/2 ounces black truffles, cut into strips 1/25 inch (3 mm) thick (75 g)
- 2 3/4 tablespoons truffle juice (4 cl)
- 2 teaspoons Barolo vinegar (1 cl)
- 3 Bresse chicken legs
- 2 1/2 ounces chicken fat (70 g)
- 1 3/4 ounces cornichons, julienned (50 g)
- 1 1/2 ounces black truffle, julienned (40 g)
- 1 3/4 ounces shallots, chopped (50 g)
- 5 fluid ounces chicken aspic (15 cl)
- 2 3/4 tablespoons truffle vinaigrette (4 cl)
- 2 tablespoons chicken jus (3 cl)
- fleur de sel
Step 1: Bresse Chicken Breasts
Skin the breasts. Remove the nerves from the foie gras, and form 3 identical sausages of foie gras using plastic wrap. Marinate the breasts and the foie gras in the truffle juice, fleur de sel, and freshly ground pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Line a square mold, 6 3/4 inches (17 cm) per side, with plastic and fill, alternating layers of chicken, foie gras, and truffles.
Cover the mold with plastic, then cook sous-vide (seal 6, pressure 2,8) in 140°F (59°C) water until the central temperature reaches 136°F (58°C). When cooked, cool on ice for 24 hours.
Step 2: Bresse Chicken Thighs
Remove the nerves from the chicken legs. Prick with the tip of a knife, brush with the melted chicken fat, and cook sous-vide (seal 6, pressure 2.8) in 140°F (60°C) water for 2 hours. Chill on ice and separate the upper and lower halves of the legs.
Roast the drumsticks skin-side down in some olive oil. Caramelize them in a trickle of Barolo vinegar, and slice into large slices.
Skin the thigh, and cut into slices.
Finely slice the skin, and mix with the julienned black truffles, the julienned pickles, and the sliced shallots. Season with truffle vinaigrette, chicken jus, freshly ground pepper.
Arrange the slices of thigh meat in the bottom of large Versailles cups. Top with the mixed julienne, and coat with the chicken aspic. Finish with 2 slices of meat from the drumsticks.
This recipe was originally published in "Culinary Encyclopedia by Alain Ducasse" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse