Cherry Vacherin Cake
Making the ice cream and the sorbet
- For ice cream
- 1 quart milk (1 liter)
- 6 3/4 tablespoons heavy cream (10 cl)
- 8 1/2 ounces sugar (240 g)
- 1 3/4 ounce powdered milk (50 g)
- 2 2/3 ounces atomized glucose (75 g)
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 ounces butter (64 g)
- 3 vanilla beans
- 2 teaspoons ice cream stabilizer (8 g)
- For sorbet:
- 1 quart Morello cherry pulp (1 liter)
- 4 1/4 ounces sugar (120 g)
- 3 1/2 ounces atomized glucose (100 g)
- 9 3/4 ounces water (275 g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ice cream stabilizer (6 g)
Making the meringue
Preparing the Morello cherry jam
Preparing the chantilly cream
Step 1: Making the ice cream and the sorbet
Combine all the vanilla ice cream ingredients and heat to 183°F (84°C). Cool to 39°F (4°C), let sit, process in the ice cream maker, and set aside.
To make the Morello cherry sorbet, mix all the ingredients, then heat to 149°F (65°C). Chill to 39°F (4°C). Let sit, process in the ice cream maker, and set aside.
Once ready, mix the two flavors to create a marbled look and transfer into molds 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) in diameter. Chill to set.
Step 2: Making the meringue
Beat egg whites together with part of the granulated sugar, then stiffen with the remaining sugar. Add sifted confectioners’ sugar last. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a nozzle and pipe onto a baking sheet, making some in the shape of the round bottom layer of the vacherin, and the rest into ladyfinger-shaped meringues. Bake at 250°F (120°C) for 1 hour 30 minutes.
This recipe was originally published in "Alain Ducasse’s Desserts and Pastries" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse