Drambuie ice cream
- For this recipe, use half-sphere domes 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) in diameter.
- Before beginning the preparation, steep the pieces of candied chestnut for the garnish in Drambuie.
Making the walnut meringue
- 5 1/4 ounces confectioners’ sugar (150 g)
- 5 1/4 ounces granulated sugar (150 g)
- 3 1/2 ounces shelled walnuts (100 g)
- 5 1/4 ounces egg whites (150 g)
Making the chestnut ice cream
- 1 quart milk (1 liter)
- 1 pound heavy cream (450 g)
- 4 ounces powdered milk (110 g)
- 7 1/2 ounces sugar (210 g)
- 2 2/3 ounces Trimoline (75 g)
- 1 1/3 pounds chestnut puree (620 g)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 1/2 teaspoons stabilizer (14 g)
- 3 1/3 tablespoons Drambuie (5 cl)
Assembling the dessert
- finely crumbled meringue (SQ)
- whipped cream (SQ)
Preparing the syrup
- 7 ounces 30° Baumé syrup (200 g)
- 1 vanilla bean
- Drambuie (SQ)
- candied chestnut (SQ)
Step 1: Making the walnut meringue
Blitz the confectioners’ sugar and walnuts in a food processor.
Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on 2nd speed. When they become frothy, fold in granulated sugar little by little, then increase to 3rd speed to form stiff peaks. Delicately fold in the confectioners’ sugar-walnut mixture.
Pour this batter into a pastry bag fitted with a smooth nozzle. Grease the domes (see description) and coat with meringue batter. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Bake in a 230°F (110°C) oven for about an hour. Let cool. Unmold and set aside in a dry place.
Step 2: Making the chestnut ice cream
Combine the chestnut pieces, sugar, egg yolks, cream, milk, Drambuie, Trimoline and stabilizer. Heat in a 183°F (84°C) double boiler, then cool immediately to 39°F (4°C). Let sit 24 hours, then process in the ice cream maker. Set aside in the freezer.
This recipe was originally published in "Alain Ducasse’s Desserts and Pastries" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse