Farm-Raised Veal Sweetbreads with Spring Vegetables
- 2 veal sweetbreads, 7 ounces each (200 g)
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 ounces flour (100 g)
- 3 1/2 ounces breadcrumbs, finely sifted (100 g)
- 1 3/4 ounces butter (50 g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons clarified butter (2 cl)
- 1 lemon
- 2 fluid ounces veal jus (6 cl)
- fleur de sel
- 10 1/2 ounces new potatoes (300 g)
- 2 cloves garlic (2 cl)
- 2 pounds fresh snap peas, shelled (1 kg)
- 4 turnips, with tops
- 6 medium-sized carrots, with tops
- 6 spring onions, with tops
- 12 morel mushrooms, 1 1/2 inches in length each (4 cm)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons veal jus (5 cl)
- 1/3 cup light chicken stock (7 cl)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (3 cl)
- 3 ounces butter (90 g)
- 6 triangles Jabugo ham
- 10 leaves Little Gem lettuce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (2 cl)
- seasoning olive oil
- fleur de sel
Step 1: Sweetbreads
Blanch the sweetbreads very quickly, but make sure that they do not begin cooking, then cool on ice.
Remove the nerves, blood vessels and outside parts. Drain the sweetbreads and pat dry on a dishtowel.
Slice open the sweetbreads, and bread them by dipping in the flour, followed by the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
Sear in the clarified butter, add the butter, and cook, basting frequently with the frothy cooking butter.
When cooked, deglaze with a dash of lemon juice, and season with fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper.
Step 2: Vegetables
Peel the carrots and turnips, setting the tops aside.
Wash the morels carefully, cutting and discarding the dirty bottom part of the stem. Drain and dry on a dishtowel.
Peel the new potatoes and rinse under running water.
Shell the peas. Remove the outer skin from the spring onions.
Brown the potatoes in some grapeseed oil in a sauté pan, and finish cooking by adding 2 1/2 ounces (70 g) whipped butter and a clove of unpeeled garlic.
Sweat the carrots, turnips and spring onions in a separate pot. Add the light stock and cook over a low heat until the vegetables are very tender.
Sear the ham triangles in a cast iron pot, remove and set aside. Add the peas to the ham cooking fat and moisten with light stock.
Once the peas have cooked, add all of the other vegetables except for the potatoes, the veal jus, some olive oil and a dab of butter.
At the last moment, add the lettuce. Reduce the vegetable cooking juices, glaze the vegetables with them, and season with freshly ground pepper.
This recipe was originally published in "Culinary Encyclopedia by Alain Ducasse" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse