Preparing the base dough
- To be prepared two days before recipe itself
- 1 cup whole milk (25 cl)
- 2 teaspoons star anise (8 g)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (8 g)
- 14 ounces rye flour (400 g)
- 15 1/4 ounces chestnut honey (430 g)
- 7 1/2 ounces glucose (210 g)
Finish and baking
- 4 2/3 ounces all-purpose flour (130 g)
- 1 ounce baking powder (30 g)
- 9 ounces eggs (260 g)
- 7 ounces softened butter (200 g)
- 1/2 ounce fine salt (14 g)
- 8 2/3 ounces orange marmalade (245 g)
- 2 teaspoons four-spices (mixture of mace, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon) (8 g)
Step 1: Preparing the base dough
Step 2: Finish and baking
Preheat a convection oven to 338°F (170°C).
Sift the flour together with the baking powder. Work the salt into the softened butter.
Knead the rye flour-baking powder mixture into the basic dough. Add the eggs one by one, and then the softened salted butter. Mix well to obtain a homogenous dough. Finally fold in the orange marmalade and four-spice mixture.
Grease the pans and fill half way up with batter. Bake for around 50 minutes. Check for doneness by pricking with a knife tip—if the tip comes out of the cake clean, the cake is done. If this is not the case, continue baking.
Turn the cakes out onto a rack. Store in plastic wrap when completely cooled.
This recipe was originally published in "Alain Ducasse’s Desserts and Pastries" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse