Lamb, Eggplant, Zucchini, and Tomato Pie
- 10 ½ ounces lamb shoulder, deboned, trimmed, nerves and fat removed (300 g)
- 2 ¾ ounces lamb fat, very white (75 g)
- 1 ¾ ounces zucchini (50 g)
- 1 ¾ ounces eggplant (50 g)
- 2 1⁄8 ounces onion (60 g)
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil (150 ml)
- 2 tablespoons lamb jus (30 ml)
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- ½ ounce flat-leaf parsley, chopped (15 g)
- fine salt
- freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh thyme
- 12 small tomatoes
- 8 medium zucchini
- 4 eggplants
- 3 tablespoons butter (40 g)
- 10 ½ ounces tomatoes, finely diced (300 g)
- 1¾ ounces (50 g) onion, chopped
- 1 2/3 fluid ounces olive oil (50 ml)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small bouquet garni
- 3 1/2 ounces red bell peppers, finely diced (100 g)
- ¾ ounce basil, chopped (20 g)
Finishing and Plating
Step 1: Vegetables
Score and peel the tomatoes. Cut out 60 disks, 1 inch (2.5-cm) in diameter. Dice the rest of the tomato and set aside for the concasse; you will need a total of 10 1/2 ounces of diced tomatoes for the concasse.
Slice two zucchini into 1/16-inch (1-mm)-thick rounds.
Peel the skin from the eggplants and from the six other zucchini, and cut into 3¼-by-1-inch (8-by-2.5-cm) strips.
Immerse the skin strips in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, then shock and drain.
Grease four 4-inch (10-cm)-diameter ring molds with butter and place on four 5-inch (13-cm)-diameter metal baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Alternate 12 zucchini strips with 12 eggplant strips to a height of 3/8 to ¾ inch (1 to 2 cm). Refrigerate.
Don’t discard the inside parts of the vegetables after removing the skin. You can dice or sauté* them, or mix them with other vegetables.
Soften the onion in the oil for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, bouquet garni, tomato dice, and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until the water has evaporated.
Remove the garlic and bouquet garni, and add the basil. Set aside.
This recipe was originally published in "MY BEST JOËL ROBUCHON" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Joël Robuchon