Preparing the dough
- 1 pound 1 1/2 ounce flour (500 g)
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt (3 g)
- 6 1/4 teaspoons sugar (25 g)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh yeast (10 g)
- 1/2 cup water (12.5 cl)
- 5 1/4 ounces butter (150 g)
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil (24 g)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (4 g)
- confectioners’ sugar (SQ)
Step 1: Preparing the dough
Combine all the ingredients – except eggs and confectioners’ sugar – in the bowl of an electric mixer and begin mixing. Add the eggs one by one. Once the dough has become homogenous, knead as for brioche dough, and refrigerate overnight.
Step 2: Cutting and cooking the bugnes
The next day, roll out the dough as thinly as possible, and cut into squares or other shape desired. Prepare a deep fryer with oil heated to 356°F (180°C). Dip the pieces of dough and fry until both sides have browned evenly.
Drain, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve hot or warm.
This recipe was originally published in "Alain Ducasse’s Desserts and Pastries" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse