Thick Rump Steak with Morello Cherry and Mustard Compote and Swiss Chard
- 2 1/2 pound Chalosse rump steak (1.2 kg)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons beef jus, slightly reduced (5 cl)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (3 cl)
- 3/4 ounces butter (20 g)
Morello Cherry Compote
- 7 ounces shallots (200 g)
- 1 3/4 ounces fennel (50 g)
- 1 1/4 cups cherry juice (30 cl)
- 7 ounces Morello cherries (200 g)
- 1 cup cherry vinegar (25 cl)
- 20 black peppercorns
- 8 juniper berries
- 20 coriander seeds
- 30 wild aniseeds
- 1 pinch Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 3/4 ounces grainy mustard (50 g)
- fleur de sel
Step 1: Rump Steak
Trim the rump steak into one thick slice, cutting along the grain of the meat. Brush the meat with a dash of olive oil, and warm slightly in a drying oven.
Season with salt, then sauté in some oil and butter in a sauté pan, watching it carefully; it should only caramelize slightly.
Cook the rump steak to the desired doneness, the set aside on a tray with a small rack on top.
Step 2: Morello Cherry Compote
Crush the spices in a mortar, and sieve to keep only the flavorful middle parts.
Chop the cherries, and combine with the cherry juice and the cherry vinegar in a mixing bowl.
This recipe was originally published in "Culinary Encyclopedia by Alain Ducasse" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse