Truffled Pheasant Ragout with Whole Vegetables
- 2 unplucked pheasant hens, 3 pounds (1.5 kg) each
- 5 quarts chicken consommé (5 l)
- 2 3/4 tablespoons truffle juice (4 cl)
- 2 3/4 tablespoons port wine (4 cl)
- 2 3/4 tablespoons cognac (4 cl)
- 2 3/4 tablespoons madeira wine (4 cl)
- 7 ounces chicken meat, diced into small cubes 1/6 inch (5 mm) per side (200 g)
- 3 1/2 ounces raw duck foie gras, diced into small cubes 5 mm per side (100 g)
- 2 chicken livers, chopped
- 1 3/4 ounces bread, crust removed and soaked in 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) of whipping cream (50 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoon chervil, minced
- 2 teaspoons truffle juice (1 cl)
- fleur de sel
- 2 pheasants, bones only
- 2 chicken livers
- 2 pheasant livers
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cognac (10 cl)
- 2 cups cooking sauce (50 cl)
- 2 teaspoons Barolo vinegar (1 cl)
- 4 teaspoons cooking olive oil (2 cl)
- 1/3 ounce butter (10 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (2 g)
- 3/4 ounce truffle, chopped (20 g)
- 4 teaspoons truffle juice (2 cl)
- 1 dash Barolo vinegar
- fleur de sel
Step 1: Pheasants
Singe, clean, and draw the pheasants, removing the wishbone. Set the livers and hearts aside for the stuffing. Season the insides with coarse salt.
Prepare all of the ingredients for the stuffing cold, in a bowl placed on a bed of ice. Check the seasoning.
Stuff the pheasants and truss.
Bring the chicken consommé to a boil. Add the liqueurs and the truffle juice. Poach the pheasants in this mixture, simmering for 45 minutes.
Step 2: Sauce Salmis
Once well browned, add the coarsely ground black pepper, the shallots and a clove of unpeeled garlic. Sweat these ingredients and deglaze with 1/3 cup (8 cl) of cognac, reducing the sauce until dry. Deglaze with 2 cups (50 cl) of the consommé in which the pheasants were poached. Reduce this sauce by half and check the seasoning.
Strain the sauce through a fine-meshed chinois, crushing the bones to extract as much liquid as possible.
This recipe was originally published in "Culinary Encyclopedia by Alain Ducasse" (Éditions Alain Ducasse). See all credits
This recipe is reserved for the Premium subscribers
Get the full recipe and enjoy unlimited access to 1,000 recipes from the greatest chefs, starting from just 1$
All My Chefs suggests
Other recipes by Alain Ducasse